29 June, 2010

"Time passes slowly up here in the mountains . . . " - Bob Dylan

Lima, MT

I have been in Whitefish for three days.  Each day it feels like a bit more of the weight from the past couple of years falls from my shoulders.  I stayed at Jan's Cafe and Cabins on Friday night.  It's close to the Continental Divide (note the snow on the mountains) and was the perfect place to spend my first night in my new home state.  The photo above is of a stream that runs through the small town of Lima, MT.  I sat by this stream and reflected on my journey and my planned arrival in Whitefish the following day. 

And now I am home.  I've been focused on getting myself established here, attending AA meetings and staving off the loneliness that I know accompanies a move of this consequence.  Phone calls back to friends in San Diego help.  But, it's necessary for me to embrace the loneliness as part of the process - very similar to the grieving process, actually.  There can be solace in solitude.  I'll try to remember that in the coming days and weeks.


5 comments:

Andy Rathbone said...

Sounds like a great time to take up fly fishing. I saw a guy in the park here a few Saturdays ago, practicing his casting -- on the grass.

I'll bet he wishes he were in your shoes!

Jack Albrecht said...

Andy - Yup, I'm gonna haveta get me a fishin' pole!

Tina Rathbone said...

I miss you, Jacques!

Anne Laurie said...

Jack -- I looked for you on Facebook and then found your blogger page.
Long time since ASM, no?
I, too, have been bereaved a couple of times since Tucson, and I have retired to my hometown in *Montana*.
It would be nice to catch up. (I have a couple of blogspot pages and am on Facebook under Anne Laurie.)
Best -- Anne

Dave Fearon said...

Well Jack, we just got a computer and internet service to go with it (things are a little slow out on the high plains) and then I messed around and discovered your blog page. I am very impressed with your blog, as I will be with myself, if I can get this to post. I have a rod you can use (not a pole), and can suggest some flies. And would like to get up there to see you when it would work for you. Get ahold of me when you can! Dave Fearon