06 September, 2010

Love, Labor, Lost . . .

"Les Feuilles Mortes"
Since I'm currently "between engagements," I am feeling a bit on the lost side this Labor Day.  For many years I've always been working or going to school when Labor Day came around on the calendar.  This year finds me in the peculiar predicament of being unemployed.

Yes, I chose to leave my library management gig in San Diego in favor of the less hectic and demanding climes of Montana.  For several months I've been content just to get myself situated up here and, truth be known, I've have been revelling in the freedom to sleep in.  That being said, I am coming to realize that I need some structure and routine to my life (other than getting up at 8 a.m., feeding my surly Siamese cats, and quaffing coffee).  To paraphrase Mr. Wizard to Tooter the Turtle, "Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drome, time for this one to find income!" (apologies for the asinine assonance)

I have been using my local branch of the Flathead County Library, which in ways has made me long for library work again.   I've just finished Lunch in Paris: A Love Story with Recipes by Elizabeth Bard.   Quite a delightful book, with some similarities to works by MFK Fisher, Julie Powell, or Julia Child.   I do find it odd that, being a rather ambivalent cook, I am drawn to these "foodie" confections.   I also love watching Ina Garten - she always approaches food with a sense of such fun and passion.   

I may as well enjoy my labor-less day and take a walk in the autumnal air.  The weather in northwest Montana really has turned toward fall, with some maple leaves already turning crimson.   Plus ça change . . .

No comments: