17 September, 2010

Men on Films . . .


There's a light dusting of snow on Big Mountain, which I can see from my living room window.  Fall seems to have taken hold of the Flathead Valley, even though we're shy a week from the official start of the season.  A quick Google search has placed the Atumnal Equinox at "Sep 22 2010  11:09 PM EDT," which places it around nine in the evening here in Montana. 

Regardless, the weather definitely has made a turn toward autumnal.  By far it's my favorite season.  There is a sense of melancholy that I find familiar and oddly comforting. 

Last year at this time I was beginning the process of culling through Charles' things, an act which ultimately would culminate in getting our townhome ready to sell and me leaving San Diego for Montana.  It was a poignant, bittersweet time - the second fall that I was alone since Charles' death.  

So, as the days shorten and I prepare to settle in, I find that I'm surrounding myself with staples and "fuel" for the upcoming months - including the essentials of good books and movies gleaned from my local library.  I'm currently reading a book by Alexander McCall Smith called The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (from The 44 Scotland Street series)  This is the first of his books that I've read, even though I saw my library customers checking out his The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, I'd never been driven to read them.  However, while visiting my Whitefish branch, I discovered the Scones book on the display shelf, was taken with the title, and brought it home.  It's a fun read and McCall Smith definitely knows how to put words together. 

Ah, movies - Aside from reading, what better way to insulate oneself!  I already mentioned watching "Coco before Chanel."  I just brought home Letters to Juliet, (this one I actually rented from a vending box in my local market).   Okay, okay - I admit it, yet another so-called "chick flick!"  But, I love anything that has Vanessa Redgrave in it AND this film has the extra added bonus of seeing her paired with Franco Nero again - as some of you may remember, they were cast together in the 1967 film version of Camelot, she as Guinevere, he as Lancelot du Lac. 

Juliet was filmed in Italy in Verona and the outlying areas.  Beautiful cinematography and the storyline about fifty-year-old unrequited love satisfied my autumnal teariness quotient.  Definitely worth a watch, if you find yourself in your own version of fall reflection. 

No comments: